Total Pageviews

Total Pageviews

Wednesday, April 9, 2014

College Questioning

— What is your reaction to Mr. Bruni’s idea that where you go to college matters less than “the effort you put into your studies, the earnestness with which you hone your skills, what you actually learn”? When I first read this question I honestly thought that Bruni was an idiot. I felt like if you have that nice diploma it well get you a lot farther in life. However he makes a great point by basically saying as long as you work hard and are willing to get an education you can get anywhere. I mean if you have like a 2.0 at Harvard and you graduate at like the bottom middle of your class it could actually been seen as worse than if you worked your butt of and made the top of the class with a 4.0 UMO. I also thought his point about kids with money already having a leg up when it comes to getting into Ivy League schools simply because they can pay to do more and make themselves look better which I thought was an accurate observation. — If you’re a student who is finished with the college process, what advice would you give high school juniors? Don't worry about rejection. The 1st letter I got was a rejection letter and it sent me into a frenzy. I was so scared that I wasn't going to get into anywhere so much so that I forgot that the school I applied to was highly selective. In the resulting weeks I got accepted to all my other schools, so don't worry about one rejection. College is a lot more than you think so apply to all of the scholarships that you can you're going to need them and do it early to get it off your mind. Also pick your school on your comfort level to go just because someone tells you to go because you enjoy it there. Also where you think you might want to go could change. I know that from when I was in middle school I wanted to go to school in Boston my mind was set on it and then I fell in love with a school in upstate New York which is a huge change in scenery. — What is your idea of what the perfect college for you might be? Why? I wanna be somewhere where it's a lot of hard work so I can challenge myself, but I also want to be abler to have down time and get along with people. So I'd never want to go to an Ivy League school because I don't like those kinds of people they all seem really elitist. I think I could be comfortable in a city or in the country, I just want a medium sized school where I can get a good education.

3 comments:

  1. Great advice for juniors! It's easy to freak out when you don't get into the school you really wanted, but you make a really good point about how things can change. Upstate NY is a far cry from Boston, but it sounds like that's where you really want to be. It sounds like you're pretty flexible in terms of where you go to school. This is a good quality to have-not just now, but in life. We don't always get what we think we want so life will be a lot easier if you are able to roll with the punches and be flexible and be happy with where you are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You wrote a lot Adam, that's cool I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Adam.. I woke up this morning knowing that you were going to write something spectacular and that's what got me out of bed. I was not let down whatsoever. The tone of voice in this bog is rich and powerful. You really open up about a lot of personal topics like getting rejected from your first school and falling in love with New York. If your life as a reports broadcaster doesn't work out (which I'm sure it will) I'll hook ya up. Stay classy bud

    ReplyDelete