Total Pageviews

Total Pageviews

Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Favorite article 2

What was the assignment? The first of two editorials I did. This one was for the NY Times and we were asked to write an editorial pertaining to current issues in our society. Why did you choose this piece over the others we have done? Again I thought that this piece really captured my voice and opinions. I thought it was well written and constructed and had fire to it. I mean I enjoy reading it so I figure everyone else will. What are the strengths and weaknesses of the piece? Strengths are: opinion and voice, facts and quotes. My own personal trials and tribulations add a lot to this piece. Weakness are: probably again some grammar and my math probably could be better. You Accepted Me Why Won't You Let Me Go Here? Let's face it. The cold hard truth is to get anywhere in life, you need to go to college. Now granted some are able to do trades, but for the rest of us who aren't quite skilled with our hands there's college. Yet, how are you supposed to pay for it? To get into any school you'll be roughly paying for a new car each year for four years. Now, granted schools give you scholarships and financial aid. But, truly, what good is that? Unless you're a star athlete (and don't even get me started on the unfairness of college athletics) you don't get a full ride. Coming from a middle class family I get roughly $7,000 in financial aid. My tuition goes down from $55,000 to $48,000. Oh and thank you for that $10,000 dollar scholarship now it's down to $38,000 a year-- totally affordable! Psych!! Plus don't forget to add in all your first year necessities: laptops, kitchenware, food, all that good stuff and all of that out of your pocket. Oh and the $50 you charged me just so I could send you my application. The price added up is the equivalent of a new 2014 truck or SUV. Now of course there's loans but you'll be paying those off for the rest of your life anyway; that is provided you get a job out of college. Floyd Norris of the NY Times states "There delinquencies continue to rise, and loans continue to be made without regard for the ability to repay." In his article Norris not only argues that loans hurt students and make them less likely to take out new loans, but they also hurt the economy. People are less willing to borrow money and have less money to pay for things. Norris goes on to argue: "One thing the federal student loan program does not lack is ways to collect the money." Here he states that should you find yourself unable to pay for college, please don't worry. The colleges will find a way to reach into your pockets and get your money. Somehow, someway they will. In the end, it's all about money and how much can you make off of someone for four years. While a college education is setting you up for your future, it is also simultaneously building walls in your future. College needs to be cheaper or easier to pay for; that is the plain simple fact. You accepted me, why won't you let me go here? http://learning.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/04/30/how-necessary-is-a-college-education/ http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/20/business/economy/the-hefty-yoke-of-student-loan-debt.html?ref=payingforcollege

No comments:

Post a Comment